Re: E34 525 "Service Engine" Risk Assessment (URGENT)

Most mechanics charge about an hour to run an OBD-I/II diagnostic test on these cars.

It could be anything. On my car, the engine light has tripped the O2 sensor on the post-catalyst right bank.

It sounds like they are trying to screw you. Consider going to have a prepurchase inspection done by a mechanic for a couple hours labor. If the sellers are legit, they will allow you to have this performed. Perhaps offer them some earnest money ($100) on the condition that there are no major problems.