Re: Thinking of buying an E36 328is...any opinions?

I'll add this to Alex's comments.  Since I have owned one since 98 with 26k
miles on it, I can give personnel experience.  First of all, a car w/22k on
it is good for some respects, yet problems waiting to happen.

First:
We have had little problems with our car, now at 86k miles.  Always did the
Service as required and I took care of the other things that came up.  Like
washing and waxing,  Brakes go out every 25-28k miles.  No engine  or tranny
problems what do ever.  I have just had the valves adjusted and the tranny
serviced for fluids and filters.  Have had a couple of bulbs go out that the
dealer wanted $200 for that I fixed in 10 minutes and $1 for the bulb.
Radio went out, but got fixed for $75.  Replaced the shocks at 82k.  Bilt
all around.

Now what to watch for.  The car has not been driven much so parts have not
been used much.  Not good.  This car liked to be driven every day or so.
Rubber, gaskets, and hoses wear out faster not being used than being used.
If that makes sense.  So watch out for the stuff that has not been done.
Check for all service records, if any, and all repair records for
replacement parts.  Have a mach look over the car real good.

$16k is a little high, but if is in great shape, it will last many years.

Good luck

Al Floer