Re: Thinking of buying an E36 328is...any opinions?

Richbauch@domain.elided wrote:
> I've been driving an 87 535i for 7 years now and am looking for
> something newer and more sporty.  I test drove a 96 328is last
> night with 22,000 miles on the odometer and was very impressed
> with its ride, fit and finish, and of course its looks.  It's
> in excellent shape.

Hi Richard,

It is a bit of a sad statement, but the E36 and E28 cars a virtually
identical in size. However, E36 is much newer, has stiffer chasis, better
vehicle dynamics and more advanced engine.

Unfortunately, it's not nearly as bullet proof as old E30/E28 cars.
The electronics are one obvious weak link. The $300 climate control HVAC
will flake out and eventually need a replacement. The DME compartment may
get flooded and fry the electronics unless you religiously clear the
sunroof drains wisely plumbed right by it.
E36 cooling systems are weak. The pre 6/96 plastic impeller water pump
will need to be replaced or will disintegrate at 50-80K miles. Plastic
radiator upper neck will get brittle with age and crack/fall-off at
40-60K miles. The plastic thermostat housing is *drum roll* plastic. You
get my drift.
Avoid slush boxes. BMW started experimenting with 'lifetime' tranny
fluids with very mixed results.

Other than that, it's a fun little car requiring the usual BMW
maintenance.

> Are there any major issues with this car I should be concerned with?  I
can
> probably get it for $16,000.  Is that too much to pay?

Not sure. I've been careful to ignore the recent used car prices not
spare the heartache ;-)

Good luck
alex f