Re: AC conversion to 134

"Gary Beck" <gpbeck@domain.elided> wrote:
> Has anyone performed a conversion of their AC system from Freon R-12
> to R-134?

Yep.
BTDT on two E30s.

> I did this to a Volvo and it worked fine.
> Thoughts, problems etc.

Get the complete kit from either BMW or a reputable aftermarket supplier.
Double check here if you can reuse your compressor:
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm
Don't forget to completely evacuate the system (not a DIY) and drain all
old oil from the compressor/lines. Replace with R134a friendly oil.
Replace with R134a.
Replace the ~20 year old expansion valve while your are at it!

> I know you have to put in a new dryer and flush the system with alcohol.

New dryer goes in every time the system is opened for more than 30
minutes.
This is the first I've heard about flushing with alcohol.

> All new seals too!

Not really necessary. I did not do that and had no regrets.
Others swear by new seals. Major PITA if you do ALL of them. Why bother if
you do not?

good luck,
alex f