Re: e28 suspension and springs

In a message dated 6/25/03 2:32:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> All of these devices, springs, shocks, sway bars, are bolt-on, no cutting
> or
> welding. The only exception is the Dinan sway bars, which require welding
> bigger brackets to the frame, or the stockers **will** rip clean off.

Having put Bilsteins and heavier sway bars (Suspension Techniques) on a 533i
and driven it for 6 years of driving events, most as an instructor, I disagree
about the sway bar brackets. Unless Dinan's are way different the OE mounts
work fine and should not break away, unless rust becomes a factor. I was told I
needed to strengthen the strut tube supports with a gusset because they would
break loose. Never did and I trashed the Bilsteins and the prog. rate springs
on the fine Colorado roads out here. By the way Bilstein sent me a full set
of replacement struts and shocks and gave a check for $160 to buy new springs.
Thanks Bilstein!
Fred Callender RMC