To: "bmw digest" <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 3:14 PM
Subject: re: E36 //M3 oil gradesre: E36 //M3 oil grades:
My '97 //M3 has had Mobil 1 5/30 since I dumped the factory's
initial oil at 500 miles.
Oil consumption is 2 quarts per 5000 mile oil change increment. When I
removed the head to replace bent valves at 60k miles, what I saw inside
the motor justified the use of this oil.
5w30 was the factory recommended grade when the car was new, and I
gave it a shot. Before that I was a strict adherent to 20w50 grades,
and 3000 mile change intervals. Current motor oils are that much better
than those of the past that this grade is more than sufficient for any
other than race use.
I once tried Redline 10w30 for a dyno test. Can't say if it gave
me more power. Redline did get consumed in the motor noticeably
quicker. I needed a third quart before 4k miles.
Btw I fill the motor with 8 quarts, and never get tappy valve
lifters even after extreme cornering.
Ymmv,
'jk