re: silicone brake fluid

Er, "hydrophyllic", I believe, but I could be wrong. Water-loving. Latin. The DOT-5 fluid is not appropriate for most modern systems, especially those with ABS. Anyone who lives in a humid climate should change their fluid out with DOT-4 annually, or use whatever is stamped on their brake-fluid reservoir cap. I've had a lot of problems with calipers with all the gulf-coast moisture in central Texas, believe it or not. A retired mechanic from Denver still can't believe me.