Re: silicone brake fluid

Silicone brake fluid in a street car is a very bad idea.  Yes it is not
hydroscopic, but that is a bad thing for a street car.  The moisture in the system
has to go somewhere.  It tends to pool in the lowest part of your calipers and
causes them to rust (very bad).  Race brakes are rebuilt all the time.
Calipers taken apart, new seals.  Constant maintenance.  Definitely not a low
maintenance choice.  Just use a high quality DOT4 brake fluid and get it changed
every two years at the most.   If you have your own pressure bleeder (about
$45), it will take you 1/2 hour of the 17,088 hours in the two years you own the
car.

Rodney

jbowne@domain.elided>
> Subject: Slicone brake fluid
>
> I know that the BMW manual calls for
replacing the brake
> fluid every two
> years.  I have assumed that is because
regular brake fluid is
> hygroscopic
> and absorbs water from the air.  Is it possible
to replace
> the regular
> brake fluid with silicone brake fluid that is not
hygroscopic