E32 AC Fan

After the head gasket, I was hoping for a rest, but this is not to be. My
fan is working intermittently when the AC is on. It and the AC will be fine
at all fan settings and then suddenly grow weak and then off. Sometimes it
will gradually go back on after several minutes and be fine again. Sometimes
it will not go back on unless I turn it off and wait until the next time I
use the car. This is not the "only works on high" problem associated with
needing a new "sword", although I suppose it could be another sword problem.
In any case, I replaced the sword about 3 1/2 years and 50k miles ago. The
fan sounds as if the blades are flapping against something, so the fan may
be stopping because of an obstruction. That's what I know. As usual, you
list readers will probably have the answer, at least I hope so. Thanks for
any ideas.

Chas
'83 633CSi
'85 528e