RE: Fixed! 85/535i - Intermittent Starting problems.

Regarding the 'Defroster Fan'

The E28 has 2 fans - 1 for A/C Only mounted in the centre console and one
for Heat / Defrost / Etc (Fresh Air) mounted behind an access cover above
the firewall - under the windshield between the fresh air intakes (see
Bentley Manual - or for that matter a Haynes Manual).

I would suggest that without 'defrost' - that the fresh air fan is dead.
(It's much easier to replace than the A/C fan)

As for the fan only running on 3 - that's either the switch, wiring, or the
'resistor pack'.

Hope this helps!

Stuart
'83 528e