[alfa] 105 rattling shifter

I'm putting a transmision from a 74 GTV into my 67 GTV, but am using the
original shift lever. I've never understood how the reverse lockout mechanism
is meant to work. There's some kind of spring loaded tube under the shift knob
- but it barely seems to move, and there's no mechanism emerging at the base of
the lever to operate anything. If it's meant to be a reverse gear lockout, then
it doesn't work because the trans. goes into reverse easily without pressing
down on the shift knob etc.

About the only thing it does do is rattle, very annoyingly, a lot of the time.
I've tried to quieten it with carpet tape and grommets etc but have never got
rid of it completely.

So, 2 questions - how is it meant to work? and how do I shut it up?

Thanks,

-Richard Lane
1967 GTV, San Jose, CA