[alfa] Re: row over steering..

..well I feel I should clarify my earlier post regarding pull-push steering, as half-explaining somethings usually more dangerous than not explaining it at all..!

On reading subsequent posts Im not even sure if whats being referred to on the digest as shuffle steering is in fact what we call pull-push steering in these parts? In any case, heres how pull-push is done;

Hold the wheel somewhere between 10-2 and 9-3 (no lower).  For small steering movements simply keep the hands in this position (youll notice you can keep your little finger on the signal/flash stalk if needs be.. even in a 164!).

For larger movements you start moving your hands on the wheel.  Well turn left to illustrate;

Its called PULL-PUSH, so you always start with a PULL its smoother and more controlled. Slide your left hand to the top (12) of the wheel and start to PULL down.  As you do this, slide your right hand down the other side to meet the left hand at the bottom (6).   The hands are always more or less parallel.  To continue turning left, you now PUSH up with your right hand while sliding the left hand up to meet again at 12 and continue the process.  It takes some practise but its worth it.

The idea is that this is your core steering method, and you supplement with other techniques as appropriate maybe finish off a very tight low-speed turn with some rotational steering etc.

Id also like to say that in general, techniques that work well on the track arent always appropriate to driving on a public road.  Holding the wheel at 8 and 4 seems quite odd to me, and while Italy has undoubtedly given many great things to the world, it probably wont be remembered for any pioneering contribution to road safety.

Mike m
91 164 tspark