[alfa] Single-Flare vs Double-Flare Brake Fittings

I have current personal experience regarding this issue. As current as last
week.  Stuffing a 2-liter motor in a '67 GTV involves decisions regarding
the transmission and clutch. I chose to use a '69 pedal box, late-model
tranny and hydraulic clutch.  That meant plumbing new lines for the car.  To
make it easier to install the lines, we kept them relatively short and
joined them with unions in three or four places.  On our FIRST attempt, not
realizing different applications call for different flares, we used single
flares on all the new lines.  They all leaked.  On our SECOND attempt we
used double flares and none leaked.  Both types of flares were done
properly.  It's just that the unions are made for the double flares.  I
borrowed a 20-year-old Matco flaring set and practiced a couple of times.
Then I remade the lines.  Wasn't tough at all.  It helps to have generous
friends who own the right tools. There are also some good on-line
explanations of how to make the various types of flares, none of which I
knew about until the first time we filled up the clutch reservoir, bled the
system and watched as the leaks lubricated the garaged floor.  The lesson in
this is to use the right flare for the fitting.

Lyford Hale