[alfa] RE: [alfa] Transmission drive flange nut "spiking"?

The later nuts have (had?) a flange on them. This flange faces away from the
transmission and towards the rear of the car.

Kinda something like this:

--

   ---
 -------------> output shaft towards driveshaft
   ---

--

The horizontal portion next to the shaft gets 'staked' to lock the nut to
the shaft. Basically you ding the flange with something like a dull center

I believe that some of the earlier cars, although the shaft has the recess,
did not use the later style flange nut. I seem to recall having seen some
cars with two thin nuts here instead but can't recall for sure.

In either case, some red loctite would work well after cleaning the nut and
threads.

You can usually re-use the flange nuts about once, and that is about it,
unless you substitute loctite which works very well.

HTH,

Jeff