[alfa] Where to sell a Spider

In Digest 1203, Carla wrote:

> I'm a lurking alfadigest reader and the owner of a
> 1984, very clean, very nice Spider 2000 for sale.
> Does anyone know where the best place to advertise
> my car would be?  People have suggested
> AutoTrader.com, but I'm not sure how many people
> actually shop on-line for an Alfa, as opposed to the
> ol' paper Auto Traders, or those car sales lots.
> Also, Cars.com was suggested.  Is there an Alfa-
> specific place I might advertise too?  Just
> curious.  Love my car, it's my mid-life crisis gift
> to myself, but I've recently suffered a divorce and
> it now needs to go.

I can't speak for the world at large, but when I was
shopping for a Spider last summer, I did all my
searching on line.  I located cars through both
cars.com and autotrader.com, so I at least would say
those are good places to advertise.  But the car I
ended up buying, I bought from a digester who posted a
message RIGHT HERE.  So, I would say, post where you
are and how much you want for the car on the
list---you might get lucky.

Re Alfa-specific sites, the Alfa BB (www.alfabb.com)
has a "Cars for Sale" forum.  There is also
alfaclassifieds.com, which as I type this appears to
be down, but they usually have lots of Alfas listed
for sale. Next time (Always Looking For Another) I
will certainly check both of those sites.  Another
option is eBay.  At the very least, it puts a picture
of your car out where a lot of potential buyers will
see it.

If you want to advertise in print media, besides the
Auto Trader magazines there's also Hemmings.  I don't
know that I would spend much money advertising in
those mags, since a Spider is not the kind of car a
buyer is likely to come across the country to find,
and for local buyers your local newspaper would
probably be cheaper and more effective.

Good luck!

Chuck King
Chicago, IL