Re: [alfa] DIY steel brake lines

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:29:38 -0800 (PST) Paul Niemczyk <pniemczyk@domain.elided> wrote:
> I've been told that my only option for replacing them (short of junk yard parts)
> is to make my own.  Apparently I can get some steel lines and bend them to
> conform.  I'm not very experienced in machining things....

> Can someone tell me (and all of us) how to make custom brake lines
> and which tools to use? General procedure?

assuming that you want to stick with the OE metric system, you have two

1) buy premade, straight brake line and bend to fit. you will have some
sections that will require creative bending, as the lines will generally
be slightly too long. most alfas use M10 bubble flares (you didn't say
what alfa it was for, i'm making an assumption here but it's a fairly
safe one.)

2) buy rolled brake line, straighten it, and do your own bubble
flares. it's more work, requires more tools, but can result in better
fitting lines. if you don't get the hang of flaring, though, it can
waste a lot of time, effort, and tubing.

in either case, you'll want a tubing bender. i have this one and
like it a lot:

http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=49041&Dep_Key1=

it has a tab on the lower arm that clamps in a vise, and then you
draw the tubing through it around the mandrel using the upper
arm.

richard