[alfa] easy 105/115 front end fix

If your 105/115 front suspension makes a sharp slap or bang noise over
bumps, even small ones, it might be that your caster ball joints are worn
out (goodness that sounds crude.)  My 2000 Berlina has reasonably tight
front suspension, but always made a harsh sound over small potholes and
pavement seams.  I replaced the caster joints yesterday morning, in just
over an hour, and the front end quieted down completely.  It's an easy home
job requiring only a couple hand tools, a jack to get the car in the area,
and careful measurement of the length of the caster rod so you don't alter
your alignment settings.  Or, replace them just before you get an alignment.
I got FRAP joints, $28 each from Centerline, and they're great.  Original
Alfa joints are probably better, but a lot more expensive.  It's hard to
feel any wear in them while they're in the car, but on removal, you can
easily feel any play in the socket; you shouldn't be able to feel any.  Even
very small amounts of movement can make a surprising loud, jarring noise.
Of course, there are other things that can go wrong, but in my experience
this solves a lot of noise issues.  Plus you're holding your caster better.

Andrew Watry