[alfa] New Alfa GT, and 156 Headaches

I went to our local Alfa dealer in Lincoln last night for the unveiling of the
Alfa GT (as if we haven't seen oodles of pictures already). Its the first time
I've been into an Alfa dealer for over four years.

The good news is that the GT looks better in the flesh than in pictures, and
the cabin trim and paint finish was excellent. The only glitch was that the
push to open, push to shut ashtray would not push to shut...must be a real
Alfa then?!? I think it is a car that you would be happy to be seen in. As
usual the rear seats have only enough legroom for those who feel reckless
about deep vein thrombosis. At 6 ft tall with long legs I really did not fit
too well, but then I never expected to. Under the bonnet its a case of 'he who
dares' with obvious attempts to make everything inaccessible under a damn
great plastic engine cover...just like all other manufacturers..they don't
want YOU going in there.

The unremittingly bad news concerns the number of engine failures in 156s. I
have briefly referred to this before, but two stories emerged last night, one
first hand where an aquaintance of mine had his 2 litre engine rebuilt last
summer after only 30,000 miles after it spit back and destroyed itself. The
rebuilt engine has lasted only 15,000 miles before it blew up. This time Alfa
have supplied a new engine free of charge. He then went on to relate a story
he had heard of someone who had a 156 as a company car which was now fitted
with its FIFTH engine in two years. The driver now has a BMW.

Meanwhile today my 24 valve 164 has earned enough 'brownie points' to be given
its first longish run to Kent this evening. I have only done about 500 miles
since the rebuild and its going fine so far.

Cheers

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164Super