[alfa] WBO2 discussion , formerly Re: alfa-digest V9 #1191

The most popular sensors are usually
covered, being the L1H1 (Honda) and the LSU4 (Bosch).   Both cheap(ish)
sensors.  There are some low-budget and kit based controllers out there
from Tech Edge and the DIY-WB, that derived from the original EFI332 project,
the predecessor to the MegaSquirt.

Been reading about this.. kinda fancier with the datatlogging (but that's cool, too) would be nice to have a plain vanilla meter for less as well..

Bruce Bowling is about to release a
precision wideband controller in kit form that works with these low-buck
sensors. He hasn't given a price point yet, but indicated it's under $100
for the controller itself. This will be part of the upcoming
UltraMegaSquirt project that brings the MegaSquirt into the 21st century as
far as engine controls go.

Oooh.. gotta go check the MegaSquirt sites to see what's up there.. How soon is "real soon now"?

Now, I wouldn't buy say a new VW or Honda and rip out the factory engine
control.   As Eric pointed out to me, there's far more to it than just
injector opening times and head temperatures.   If you had a more primitive
system like an L-Jet or early Motronic, EEC-IV, GM-ECM, it would be
worthwhile.   The UMS will support sequential injection.   The debate over
sequential rolls on whether it really buys you much.   I'll try and post
info on these projects as they are announced and released by B&G.  The PWC
(precision wideband controller) might be of interest to many here.
Apparently, the LSU4 sensors are available cheap from VW (~$50).  The L1H1
sensors are a bit more expensive, as anything Honda does.   I hear of
people
grabbing them out of junkyards for short money though.

- - -Peter

From what I've read on the Tech Edge site.. the VW (Bosch LSU 0 258 007 057) sensor is now $29 from a place called 1stVWparts.com! Cheaper!!

Still need a meter for it.. but for those just interested in a tuning meter, that can be relatively easy to implement. I just might get motivated to create a circuit.. and if there's interest, perhaps get some boards made up for kits..

Hmmm... after some reading, I discover that there is a fair amount of work needed.. Still might try it, but seems that there are a few folks out there already with products. May wait for the MegaSquirt guys to finish theirs.. they seem to be pushing the envelope for a very accurate and well done controller.

Jon