[alfa] Starter running on...

Just when you thought it was safe to start your Alfa...
(dum-te-dum-te-daHHH)...

Not doubt everyone's terribly chagrined I've been unable to make any
Digest  replies for the past five or so days. Boo hoo?

I have been able to skim the posts and did receive a polite admonition
from Alfanovice (Brian Ancelin): "In the spirit of did it work for you,
I would like to know what you did about the starter running on
question..."

Brian's (Grasshopper's) suggestion was to cut the starter solenoid wire
to the Spica cold start solenoid (50) and connect it to the lower (?)
post of the starter as per Wes Ingram. Ummm, Grasshopper, doesn't that
pretty much null and void the Spica cold start solenoid completely?
Trust me, I'm keeping an open mind here.

Yes, I too sent in a donation to the Welty fund. It also was somewhat
over $5 and feel it is Money Well Spent.

Interesting in that PW, who admonished anyone, especially professionals
to ever reply to my questions, ever again, I almost feel there should
also be a Jeff Greenfield Fund. He's stuck by me (as he has for so many
others) through this problem through thick and thin (to coin a phrase).
He's commented on all my questions, gave me a short course on Basic
Relay 101, and just got through grading my dual relay system for the '69
Spider. I'd guess it was about a 70. Maybe less. But being cool, he
said, remove these (specific) wires, switch this one over here and hook
these two together. Still too soon to tell (only five starts in a row),
but believe he has completed the 'circle'.

I got greedy and also wanted to add a starter solenoid relay along with
the frequently suggested Spica cold start relay at the same time. Will
let you know shortly the outcome and will publish the findings on my
website.

Back to gelt. With no prompting required from PW, I offered to pay Jeff
for his time spent. He said in essence if his time was 'chewed up'
helping me, he'd consider billing me.

Another highly  respected Alfa professional offered some very good
technical advice along with his suggestion as to what PW could do with
his comments regarding never helping an Alfa (professional) restorer.

Robert Watson gave me a huge hint, relay wise, by suggesting I Google
comments like Alfa cold start bypass. Voila!

Thanks also to Tessie Mc, Jason Hagen, Roy in NJ, Bill LeClair, John S.,
John Katos, and K. Stevenson.

The client has just given me permission to have the Spica unit rebuilt
along with the engine, if necessary. Even if I end up doing so, the
relays will remain as I feel they are both very good insurance.

Thanks all,

Biba
Irwindale (Where it was 88 degrees today. Whew.), CA USA