[alfa] Spider Transmission Rebuild, was bay area spider people

In a message dated 3/17/2004 12:56:18 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:34:18 -0500
From: "Jeff Greenfield" <alfaguy@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [alfa] bay area spider people

When I do a gearbox, I replace all 5 synchros, and the sleeves. If you are
sure that the gearbox has not been opened before, you can turn the 5-R
sleeve around as only one side is used.
----------------------------

    Nice description, Jeff.  I have had good luck rebuilding transmissions
with no new parts other than the front and rear seals.  I move the fifth gear
synchronizer and slider to second and the second gear to fifth.  I also move the
dog ring from fifth to second.  The dog ring is what really engages and is
what you hear when the gears grind on engagement.  Getting one of the dog rings
off requires a hammer and punch as it is exactly the same size as the gear.
The other one will press off.
    If the transmission is really bad or has been rebuilt before, I replace
second, third and fourth gear synchronizers and the 1 - 2 and 3 - 4 sliders.
The slider is the part that engages the dog ring.
    If the only obvious fault in the transmission is a bad second gear, the
above method will work.  First gear synchronizer should be the first to go.  Or
it would be if first gear had a usable synchro.  I treat first gear in an
Alfa as not synchronized.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City