[alfa] alignment issues

Positive toe usually refers to toe in, which is not the norm for fwd cars. The Audi is probably all wheel drive so I dunno if front alignment is spec'd for positive or negative toe. Toe out will cause the front end to be twitchy, and may give the feel of good initial turn in before body roll puts the weight on the outside wheel. Toe in should give slightly less immediate turn in but more cornering effect for a given steering input as the suspension loads up. Toe in will give more stable handling usually.

It is of course impossible to dial in more toe on one side of the front than the other, this is only possible on a non-steering axle. If toe is set differently for left and right wheels on a steered axle the wheel will be offset as the tires adopt a straight ahead balanced configuration.

As far as I know, toe cannot affect camber but more toe in can compensate for less negative camber. I think the Audi 80 uses strut front suspension so camber adjustment would normally be minimal. On most strut suspension camber is non adjustable. Older Audis and the newest Audis (except the VW based TT) use wishbone suspension, quite sophisticated actually which should be camber adjustable.

If my alignment shop suggested they set front toe differently left and right I would change shops. That is just dumb. Rear suspension with adjustable toe can be set differently left and right and the thrust angle can be set differently as a result.

Basically I suggest Tess's car was just not aligned by a competent front end man, period.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner