[alfa] young Alfa club members (me)

I bought my first Alfa at age 18, back in 1977, a barely running Giulia TI
with a host of problems to be solved.  I knew Fiat 850s at the time, but was
brand new to Alfas, which were a big step up in sophistication and
complexity.  I needed a variety of parts and advice on servicing the car.  A
friend in the San Diego Alfa club introduced me to a number of club members,
and was kind enough to take me to a monthly AROSD meeting, where I got good
advice and made contacts to get parts for the 101 1300 engine that for some
reason had been installed in this TI.  I was a typical foot-scuffing,
staring-at-the-ground awkward teenager, and without this encouragement and
help on parts I would have been at sea with such a car.  So, as far as I'm
concerned, the local clubs and the generosity of club members (Joe Hart,
Jerry Simolino, Richard Baron, others) were a fundamental part in getting me
off to a good start with Alfas.  Now I'm in the ARA in the Bay Area, and I
continue to see this great attitude, especially among "senior" members, to
this day.

Andrew Watry
Berkeley, CA
too many Alfas and Fiats over the years to count