RE: [alfa] 1967 GTV with factory sunroof?

John,
Thanks for your research into this as it appears to have been a heated topic some time ago.

As I am not an Alfa expert by any means, the owner of this GTV is an Italian mechanic who constantly amazes me by pointing out details, or rather lack of, towards the authenticity of my 1979 Spider and my 1963 Fiat 500D. He claims it is a factory sunroof, I will push him for details on that.

At first and second glance at this manual sliding sunroof, it really appears like a period style sunroof, not a "moon roof", integrated into the roof as a factory one should. The sliding "roof" is the color matched sheetmetal, and inside, with matching headliner and an indented rectangular plastic handle that slides back marginally in order to push the sliding roof back. No rubber gasket surround.

As you suggest that it may be a Webasto install that could have been done by the dealer, I would note that this would be a costly procedure since this would require careful cutting perhaps avoiding a respray however I would also expect that welding(without paint damage?) or bolting is required to attach the framework and mechanism into the roof and a new headliner is necessary.

The question here is what did the dealers charge for the sunroof "dealer" option? And I suppose to put that period pricing in perspective, what did a 1967 Alfa GTV cost new?

Webasto is alive and kicking for over 100years and their website offered some interesting historical notes:

"In 1974, Webasto establishes its first foreign subsidiary in the USA"
http://www.webasto.com/company/en/3151.html

This suggests a couple things. Assuming this vehicle was exported by Alfa for U.S. sales, this modification was not done by the dealer but by the owner. Or this was a european model with a "factory"?? sunroof and was privately shipped over to the U.S. In order to resolve this question I can email Elvira Ruocco for the archive data on this GTV. Are there known euro version '67 GTVs with factory sunroof?

Back to the actual car, it appears to have the original color on the body(green) but it might have been resprayed(back to the theory that a respray was required to fit the aftermarket sunroof) at some other point in its life. Will attempt to investigate this further today and see if there a way to determine a respray was done.
And to check for any markings on the rails for manufacturer info.

Photos coming soon!

And finally, does the sunroof increase the value of this GTV? Especially if it is a true factory one?

Regards,
Rodney