From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Jon
Pike
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 7:40 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Spider rear view mirror

OK..  wondering how "openable" the rear view mirror is for the 70's Spiders?

I was told not to never open one, or else..  But I almost remember
taking mine apart a year or so ago..  Really not sure now!  The reason
is to clean the fine layer of dust and haze on the mirror and inside glass..

So, is it a nearly impossible thing to get back together,  or only if
you aren't fairly gifted with manual dexterity?

Another issue.. the plastic "socket" of the ball joint that the mirror
is mounted on, is coming apart,  and I now have metal to metal looser
contact.  Anyone successfully replace this?  Looks like a spring plate
with pop rivets,  but you need a shaped piece of plastic for the bearing
(cartilage?) of the joint...

Jon - who passed smog today, with insanely good numbers!!!  Whee, I can
get this thing registered now!!
77 Spider
Irvine, CA