[alfa] Re: Mark Mosko comments and Alfa Youth

Hi all,

I feel I need to say something about the topic.

1. There are many different types of Alfa Owners, just as there are many
different types of Alfas.  I am sure that most of you have, at one time or
another, met at least one example of each of the different categories of
owners, from the racer to the serious and well-funded collector, to the
youngster with his/ her first beater Alfa, to the older Alfisti with a
collection of parts, cars in various stages of repair and a daily driver, to
the casual owner who just likes their little Italian car.  Old ones, newer
ones and - outside the North American market - brand new ones...they are all
Alfas, and I believe that their owners are all entitled to a club to share
their ownership experience with others.

2. Alfas are all about 'Passion'!  Being an Alfista means that the owner is
passionate about his/ her car(s) and therefore will have strong opinions
about Alfas, his/ her car, which Alfa is best, etc.  And you know what?
That's OK!  It's part of what makes being an Alfista fun.

3. AROC USA is supposed to be an organization which supports ALL Alfa
owners, not just those who race, or those who do concours-level restoration.
With so few Alfas compared with many other collectible cars out there, we
have very little room for a separate 'Vintage Alfa Club', an 'Alfa Racing
Club', a 'Daily Driver Club', etc.  Besides, where would you divide the
'vintage' from the 'new'?  Should we have a 'pre-war' club?  A 1900, 2000,
2600 club?  A Giulietta, Giulia club?  We already have numerous registers
and digests which help to meet the needs of each of these groups!  Let's not
divide our ranks and make the already small AROC USA into a club guaranteed
to diminish in members!  AROC and each of its chapters should adapt to the
needs of its members...whoever they are, and try and encourage new
membership!  Here in Hampton Roads, I think we do a great job at being
'inclusive', instead of 'exclusive'.  We encourage 'family' activities,
drives, tech sessions, social gatherings, shows and concours and racing
events.  Our members become friends.  I am so proud and happy to be a member
of such a great group!

4. I strongly suggest that those of you who care about the future of your
club and your car work very hard to mentor and encourage all the younger and
'newer' Alfa owners (and those who want an Alfa, but don't have one).  They
are the future of your Alfa and your club.  Personally, I believe that I am
merely a 'caretaker' of my Alfas.  I use them and enjoy them and I try to
improve them and repair them so that they will be around for someone else to
use when I am done with them.  I am temporary.  Old Alfas are not.  I hope
that my '69 Spider will be still on the road in 2069 and that someone will
enjoying my car.

5. Finally, I think we all need to relax a bit.  Divisiveness doesn't help
us.  We need to band together instead of push apart.

Cheers,
Alex Csank
AROC USA Member #40320
Membership Director, MAARC
Meeting Facilitator, Hampton Roads Alfa Club (Branch of MAARC)
'69 Spider 1300 Junior
'73 GTV (racer project)
'87 Milano Verde