[alfa] Mark Mosko comments and Alfa Youth (Long version)

Mark,

I am very disappointed in your comments in the recent Alfa Owner.  I love vintage cars as much as the next guy, but I like the newer Alfas just as much.  Why would you want to alienate the newer Alfa owners? I think youbre just jealous that you can't drive or won't drive your vintage cars on rainy and snowy days. But the funny thing is that most vintage Alfa owners own newer Alfas as daily drivers. Now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is? Case in point you want a vintage club, but drive a 164S and just bought 91 Spider for your wife. You are by far worst than any politician I've heard on trying to play on both sides of the fence!

You guys on the board are always bitching and moaning about new membership, dues are not enough and we canbt compete with the other clubs.  Well here is a perfect opportunity to embrace new members and get up to par with the other auto clubs, but instead you choose not to welcome new members, but push away the current members who own newer Alfas.  You wonder why members were complaining about the dues increase thatbs because we get nothing for $60 except a national convention.  Whenever I ask bwhy is this not like this?b or bwhy canbt we do this?b the answer was always bwell the other auto clubs have factory backing and they more members so they collect more duesb.  Youbve got your answers right in front of you if Alfa Romeo returns.

Is the club too big for you to handle?  Maybe thatbs why you want to shrink the club to nothing so you can handle it.  Who are you to say that a vintage Alfa owner enjoys their car more than me whom owns a newer Alfa and thatbs why they can join and not me?  Why would you want to push the youths that buy the newer Alfas when they are the future of this club?  We give our time, energy and ideas to the club only to get shot down by the old timers.  Is this type of club you want to run?  If so Ibm out!  You think that the new Alfa owners wonbt do events?  Try to run events with 60 yr. olds that donbt want to race or autocross or the guy who has a vintage Alfa for investment who wonbt even start the engine for the fear of something might happen to it.

In you column:

1. b I wonder how they will fit in socially?b  How would you fit in socially?  What the hell does this have to do with Alfa owners wanting to join the club because they enjoy their Alfas?

2. bWhat kind of car talk would you hear at events and dinner meeting?b  Since when did you become the discussion police?  Donbt listen if you donbt like the talk, it not for everybody. I donbt like the car talk at events now, but Ibm still a member!

3. bDo you think they will take their cars to the track for autocross and time trials?b  Hello more of the guys who participle are newer Alfa owners.  Most of the vintage guys are afraid of breaking something they canbt get parts for or theybre worth too much to drive.  Been to a BMW event lately?  Its mostly the newer M3bs and 3 series car running in the events.

4. bWould tech sessions interest them?b  Hell, tech sessions donbt interest me, Ibve got no time to deal with all the problem I face with Alfa Romeobs I let my Alfa mechanic deal with them.  But do I enjoy drive them ABSOLUTELY!

5. bBesides a few of our club members, what kind of person will buy an Alfa?b  Mostly Alfa guys!  Donbt worry I doubt they will join the AROC if donbt really enjoy their Alfa.  Hey itbs not mandatory to join if you own an Alfa.  So WHY WORRY ABOUT THEM?  There are plenty of Alfa owners right now who drive Alfas just to drive them and have no idea the heritage of Alfa Romeo and are not in the club.  Does it bother you that much?

6. bHow are going to mix with the new Alfa owners?  Will we mix at all?b   What we 5 yr. Old and donbt like to share our toys with the kids or are going to run home to tell mommy they picked on us?  How do you think members get along in the Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or even the Nissan club?  Just fine, they donbt judge if you have vintage model or not, theybre there to enjoy the cars as much as the vintage owners do. Anyone who'll join the club will be an enthusiast because you won't join a car club because you don't care for the car.

bThe Advantages are clear.b  Clear to whom may I ask?

1. bAlfa Owner magazine will become the authority on the purchase and maintenance of older Alfas.b  The Alfa Owner magazine is an authority of how not to have a club magazine right now!  When you can compare the AROC to the other auto club than webll discuss the Alfa Owner magazine.  Oops Ibm sorry, I forgot, itbll never happen with your thinking.  Actually with your thinking there may be no club at all soon!  The Alfa Owner magazine is a disgrace to the club!

2. bMore importantly, it will influence their rising values.b  Now how would that happen?  The market will influence their value, more importantly Ebay will influence their value!  Alfa Owner magazine has never set any precedence on pricing of Alfas and it never will.  The cars listed in the Alfa owner magazine are ridiculously too high.  That why they are listed in there like a thousand times!

3. bAll members will have something in common, as their interest will lie in older Alfas.b  What are you trying to say here?  That us Alfa owner have nothing in common now?  That the newer Alfa owners have nothing in common with the vintage Alfa owners?  Have you been to an Alfa event lately?????  We all have one thing in common OUR LOVE FOR ALFA ROMEObS!  I have friends who own Milanos, GTV6 and 164bs, I also have friends who own Montreals, Duettos and GTVs.  We all get along and we always have something to talk about.  Youbre trying to say we donbt have respect for one and another, but its this comment that is disrespectful to all Alfa owner and AROC members.

4. bAlfa owners will invest more time and money in their cars to take advantage of their appreciating assets.b  What you need to make the AROC a vintage club for people to do that?  The people who want to invest their time and money will do so regardless.  Some Alfas will appreciate, some are at their peaks and some never will.  Case in point my friend has 2 Montreals, GTV and a Duetto.  He invests his time and money regardless if theybre worth $20,000 or $2,000.  Its because he likes the cars.  Why do people invest $20,000 in a Honda thatbs worth $10,000?  Would I?  No, I donbt care for them.  Will Honda appreciate in value because he invested his time and money? NO!  My friend also has a Montreal production number #002, but it is actually the first production Montreal and its different from all other Montreals.  He wrote to SCM and they told him hebd be lucky to get $15,000 (peak value).  By turning the AROC into a vintage club or changing the magazine wonbt increase the value of his Montreal.  What are you a Clinton economics theorist?

5.    bIt will also increase the number of advertisers (and advertising dollars) wanting to maintain a presence in our magazine in order to capture sales from Alfa owners.b  Who will advertise?  Re-originals?  Thatbs it because if Alfa Romeo comes back youbre not going their funding with a vintage only club when theybre trying to sell new cars and change their image.  How many vintage only clubs you know do well?  Do they do as well as the Porsche, BMW, Mercedes etc. clubs?  Remember all these automakers have a rich racing heritage too, but they donbt alienate their member because they own a new car!  You want advertising dollars, pray for the return of Alfa Romeo so you can get their funding, get aftermarket manufacturer interest in supplying custom and performance upgrades as well as restoration parts.  You want new membership and more due money, pray for the return of Alfa Romeo and embrace the newer Alfa owners. Having new models and new blood in the Alfa world can only be to our advantage. With recognition of the Alfa Romeo brand name will come the after market vendors and allow all Alfa fans to customize, upgrade and repair their Alfas better. With new members comes new revenues and maybe we can get up to par with the

The world changes and some people want to hold on to the old ways and don't believe in changes, but if Alfa kept those old believes of lets build a car to go fast and not worry about anything else than we probably would of seen the end of Alfa Romeo long time ago. Instead we got a beautiful new GTV and Spider, an award winning 156 that's the envy of all the other manufacturers and the 147 what else do I have to say?