[alfa] re: donations and new '86 Graduate

Just donated a bit to the digest via paypal, took less than a minute.

This morning I am buying a gorgeous red 1986 Spider Graduate.  It's
extremely straight, no rust, 156k miles, and seems to have led a good life.
That is, until the head gasket went, and the soon to be PO replaced it, and
most likely mis-timed the cams.  He turned the motor over, but did not start
it.  I think he heard the valves hitting the pistons.  He was faced with
putting more time and money into it, both in short supply for him I suspect,
so he decided to sell it.  I am paying $2200 for it.  I think I'm looking at
a $4500 car!

I will trailer it home today.  I'll check the cam timing, once I figure out
how to deal with that VVT intake cam.  The car comes with a real factory
manual, so I'll see what's involved.  I'll inspect to see if the valves
appear to be bent.  If so, off comes the head and it goes to get all fixed
up. If that's all that's wrong with the car, then I win!  I will try to sell
the car to our Alfa-less NWARC pres.  Proceeds of the sale will go towards a
close-ratio gearbox for the GTA. That's my motivation for the purchase.
I've never bought a car to quickly fix and sell, but this one leapt at me.

I am sure I'll be using the digest once again to help me in my endeavors
with this car!

Cheers,

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA