[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1174

Question about O-2 sensor, exhaust, cat.----
    Have an 84 Spider, with minor engine mods. (enlarged ports, higher perf.
cams, 10:1 pistons/liners, and headers) done about 10 years ago.  Had some
repair on the headers, and my mechanic noted the cat. is all clogged up.  Also,
the mechanic had disconnected the O-2 sensor 10 yeas ago after the engine mods.
 The car never passes  "official"   NJ inspection here in NJ.
    I wonder why the O-2 sensor disconnect was done, as now I want to be able
to pass inspections here in NJ.  Mechanic says get a new cat., and he is
going to make an exhaust tube connecting the headers to the cat., and locate the
O2 sensor in this new tube. However he says he has to experiment to decide
exactly where to place the sensor  (i.e., how distant from the engine) to obtain
the correct air/fuel mix.
    My quesion is, wil this work,andr will the ECU be able to  manage the
right air/fuel mixture at all engine loads and rpm's?
     Also, I never figured out why he disconnected the O-2 sensor after he
made the engine mods 10 years ago?
    Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
-Clay Leopold
 84 Spider