[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1167

> A couple of people suggested shift rods as a source of Dave's gearbox
leak.
> I don't think that this is the case because his car is a 75 and Alfa had
> already switched to the bell housing that covers the end of the selector
> rods. I think that the switch was made in 74. I pulled a transmission from
> 74 GTV yesterday and it had the later style bell housing and gearbox. Bob
> K's gearbox probably had a selector rod from a late style gearbox. The
early
> gearboxes with longer rods are matched to bell housings with a cut out for
> the ends of the rods. The later gearboxes with shorter rods are matched to
> bell housings without the cut out.
> I think that the front oil seal is the most likely source of Dave's leak.

Hi Ed,

Australia was an extraordinarily low volume market for spiders - I see the
1975 ADR
(australian design rules) tag attached to the car but, honestly, it is
almost exactly the same
as the 1973 Spider I had.  I cannot, hand on heart, guarantee that the
bellhousing is the
same, but the brakes (for example) are still the bizarre twin booster setup
that pollutes
RHD 105 Alfas across the world.  For all I know, the car was imported in
1973 and not
sent to a dealer until 1975 as (as far as I know) 1975 was the last year
that the spider
was available for sale in Australia.

Anyway, still no progress on sorting the leak as the car is still in the
garage pending a decent
going over.  I should note that the car has not leaked gearbox oil while
parked on level
ground.  On the Jeep mailing lists they joke that "a Jeep that isn't leaking
is empty" and I think
it may apply to Alfas as well :-)

I would like to know how to identify the earlier and later bell housings
from the outside
though, if anybody has pictures or a description.

Cheers,

dave.
1983 Jeep Cherokee DL "Gaston"
1975 Alfa Spider Veloce "Rusty"