[alfa] 1991 164 erratic fuel delivery -- solved

Brian Shorey wrote:
>Knowing what the problem ultimately turned out to be is not only a courtesy
>to those who spend time trying to help track it down, but it also helps
>refine these remote troubleshooting skills.

in this spirit, since i reported my suspicions but i don't recall ever posting
my final report:

there are a number of folks on the digest who had opinions on what might
be the reason why my 1991 164 had periodic problems with fuel delivery.
even after replacing a busted fuel pump (yes, it was bad, this was
verified after the old pump was removed), and replacing the computer and
fuel relays (which are known to be difficult to diagnose, and it's cheaper
and quicker to replace them than to spend many hours and AAA+ tows
on them), it still cut out periodically.

i had observed that disconnecting/reconnecting the connector in the trunk
appeared to correlate with the system coming back to life. eventually, it
cut out on me one cold day, and when i went into the trunk to disconnect
& reconnect, i observed that the connector was warm to the touch.

i cut the connector out, and spliced the wires together.

there has been no recurrance of the fuel supply problem. the car has
been reliable for some 4 months now; previously the longest it'd go
without a fuel supply failure was about 6 days.

richard