[alfa] Running into things...

Hello all:

Was delighted to learn at the end of Ethan's recent
post that both he and his '87 Milano got off
reasonably easy after the recent run in (into?) with
the ditch across the road. Beginning to think I was
the only guy who had unplesant experiences of that
type.

Just climbed out from under my '87 QV Spider after
reviewing the results of an encounter with a high curb
last Saturday night. We were cruising the parking lot
at the local multi-plex when I wandered off into the
lot of the adjacent motel. As I turned down an aisle
to check out some available parking, my ever alert
spouse (good thing someone was paying attention)
shouted a warning about a high curb ahead. Got the
speed down to about 5mph, but when the 1/2 MV squared
gets dissapaited on the drivers side of your oil pan
gaurd, you usually don't get off too easy. The car
stalled in the process, and after assuring myself I
had not performed an "Exxon Valdez", I cranked her
over. The engine stumbled briefly, then stalled within
a few seconds. After 42 attempts (hey, I'm 15 miles
from home here!) I decided there was a tow in our
immediate future. BTW, those flat bed operators must
be dealing with a lot of lowered cars these days and
he had no trouble with the QV on either end of the
tow...backed it right into the garage.

Anyway, here's where you folks can help. One of the
front bolts on the pan was thumped quite hard, and
when I gave it a bit of a tweak to try and stop the
seepage, it snapped off. The pan is off now (the
broken bolt came right out) and I've got to say I was
surprised to find there is no pan gasket. This engine
was apart 10k ago ('95) for major work and the sealant
used is still pliable and cleaned off with a rag. The
mating surfaces appear undamaged and my question is,
what is the sealant, or alternatively, what works?

Also, any suggestions on moving the drivers side
stabilizer bar mount back where it belongs? It got
thumped back about 1". The "no start" situation? it
started on the first crank earlier today. Go figure.

Guess the lesson here for Spider owners is, make sure
you have an oil pan guard, and even more important,
don't drive into curbs (duh).

Steve Waclo
Carson City, NV
87 Spider