[alfa] A 'pro's' questions. Was 'Starter running on...'

To paraphrase Peter Webb's post: Why should the Alfa Digest group help
out someone who repairs / restores cars for a living - namely Biba?

I've never been accused of being a person of few words, but the only
logical reason I can think of is because I need help with a problem on
an Alfa.

Peter ended his post with: " I have it on reliable source that this
happens on the 750/101 list more frequently that here, and there are
some who have confided to me that they're more than a little tired of
it."

When I took on the restoration of my client's '60 Spider Veloce, I
wasn't quite prepared for what awaited me. Did I ask a lot of questions
to this group? Oh, you bet. About 20 months after I began the
restoration I drove it to the French / Italian Car Meet in Van Nuys.
After the Spider Veloce received the blue ribbon for Alfa open cars,
Christopher Boles came up to me and commented about the 750-101
receiving the blue ribbon for all of their help. He was absolutely
right. It was, for me, more than a bit of a nightmare, but with their
help, it eventually got done. One of the 'founding members' of the
750-101 Group took me to task for the length of my inquires and my
'style of writing' (imagine). Later he rebuilt the windshield wiper
system for me and did a marvelous job. The fellow who began the list,
Peter Pleitner, once limited me to one email, each to be less than 100
words, per week. I sold him a new Talbot mirror a few weeks ago.

I had taken over 500 photos during the restoration. After the Giulietta
was completed, I culled the 500 down to around 200 and scanned each for
the 15 part history of the restoration. While this was / is certainly
for marketing purposes, it was also to partially pay back those who had
been so helpful plus others who would be facing some of the same
problems. Many have emailed me saying it has been an invaluable resource
during the restoration of their cars.

While recently running behind schedule, I normally restore about one car
(Alfa) every 10 to 12 months. When I run into a problem I've never
faced, I try to logic it out, but when that fails, I do ask for help. No
one has a gun to their head to even read my posts, let alone respond. I
most likely would be willing to trade my net income with just about any
working person on the Digest. Trust me, I'm not getting rich off your
answers...but I sure do appreciate each and every one of them.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Peter, if you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by for a beer and a
chat.