Re: [alfa] '86 Spider clutch pedal pivot shaft

<In progress: '86 Spider to be put back on the road.  Problem at
hand: clutch pedal not working.
As found -- clutch pedal with only about 1" travel to firewall, but
could pump up clutch to allow for engage/disengage transmission.  I
called a vendor for some other parts for this and other cars, and
asked about the reason for the pedal malfunction.  Salesman quite
accurately pinpointed a broken pivot shaft arm and sold me another.>

Michael-  a couple of things here. First, the pedal pivot shaft should be
MIG-welded at the joint to reinforce it.  Many folks simply replace it, what
you did, but I had mine welded at a local sheet metal shop and it will likely
outlast me.  Put the weld on the back side, once you are certain of the
original alignment relationship of the lever to the shaft.  Or, buy a new one
and get it reinforced before installation.  Don't worry about reassembly of
the pedal shaft, tapered pin, etc. because you cannot go wrong with it.

When you bleed the master and slave cylinders, yes, do it progressively, and
rotate the slave cylinder when you bleed it such that the bleed fitting is at
the 12 o'clock position.  This is necessary to expel all the air bubbles.

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA