[alfa] GTV/Spica

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:41:00 -0500
From: "Gwynne W. Spencer" <gwynnes1@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Shop manual / Paper or CD for 2000 GTV

I have been "out of touch" with the Alfa community for the last 11 years. I
am currently "shopping" for an early 70's 2000GTV
What is there in the way of shop manuals available for these cars, either
paper or CD?

Also - back in the mid 80's, I remember that the SPICA injection setup had
a bad reputation and a lot were replaced by Weber or Delorto carburetors.
What is the situation with the SPICA setup now - have people mastered it?

Gwynne Spencer

------------------------------

There exists a CD with the shop manual, advertising material,etc available from the
fellow on the east coast. His phone is (716) 346-4549 or email at CARDISC@domain.elided.
I have a 69 GTV and he suggested two different discs to cover all of the various aspects
of the car. He was helpful and friendly and a real pleasure. I have found them useful
several times during my restoration.
With regard to the SPICA, there are many members and mechanics who swear at the
system and would have you switch to Webers as soon as you bought the car. I, on the
other hand, have had very good luck with my SPICA system. I am lucky to have bought
the car with the system recently rebuilt (apparently by someone who knew what they were
doing), and have a really superb Alfa technical guy (Mike Besic) who is not totally against
SPICA. If you are not so lucky, I am told that the Webers work nicely, sound better, have
the potential to give you more HP, and have parts easily available. You get to make the
choice.
On a different note, I strongly recommend a complete suspension rebuild on any car you buy
if it has not had a rebuild recently done. You will find the car a lot nicer.
Don Brubaker
69 GTV