[alfa] Unidentified socket

'90 3.0L 164L auto UK,
Good morrow gentlemen, after some years absence I am back in having
sucumbed yet again to the Alfa magnet to complement the more mundane
cars.
Although the paperwork shows the car has been regularily serviced for
its 100k miles it had many of the standard problems not addressed. With
the qhelp of FAQs I have dealt with the mirror controls (that is some
complex switch) seat motors (only small hammer needed) electric trunk
lock ( loose relay, not new lock as advised in service shop report). So
to the two main issues. The rough idle shows up repeatedly in service
reports and over the years the NTC sender, idle valve, rotor cap, have
been replaced, valve timing reset and so on, While looking for air leaks
because I could hear hissing leant on velocity stacks and engine note
changed removed the stack and found the gasket had been sucked in
because some SOB had stripped the threads on one of the allen screws.
That sorted the motor now idled WORSE and the plug on that cylinder was
now showing rich. Replaced that injector and the motor is now as sweet
as a nut. The lack of proper investigation plus the air leak has
probably been disguising the true fault for years.
Todays Question, near the main control box in the footwell, coming out
of the wiring harness is what looks like a orangy brown relay socket
with no relay but an obviously non standard link across two connections,
alongside is a red two pole connector with nothing in it, what is this
all about?
Hopefully
Mat Hill.