[alfa] RE: Smog legislation, pass it on

Brian O'Kelley forwarded a mail about new legislation for California. I
quote....
>>"A.B. 2683 repeals the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replaces it with a
provision requiring the permanent testing of all pre-1976 vehicles"

So I went to the following website..
http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/pagequery?type=sen_bilinfo&site=sen&title=Bill+Information

..entered the bill number (AB2683) and read the following...
"..This bill would instead exempt from the smog check requirements any motor
vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year."

So, I know I'm a non-voting foreigner who owns Alfas while he lives in
California and therefore finds it easy to misunderstand local laws, but don't
those two statements contradict each other?

It sounds to me like the new bill freezes the "rolling exemption" at the
pre-1976 model year (ie at the model year exempted from Jan,2005 onwards - if I
have my model years correct). This is still bad of course, and generally
anti-classic-car, but doesn't panic me in the way that all pre'76 cars suddenly
requiring smog-tests would have. Also there is the provision for requiring a
smog test if you get caught by one of these "remote-sensing" setups that will
soon be appearing at an on-ramp near you.

Someone more used to understanding California-legalesze might like to analyze
the bill in more detail than I have and inform us.

Apologies to those from outside California who are unaffected.

-Richard
San Jose, CA
1967 GTV