[alfa] Re: emissions once again

So I take it this isn't an Alfa? (I'm assuming that you meant Bosch K-Jetronic or Bosch CIS, which are the same thing.) I would guess that it's running rich--HC stands for hydrocarbons, or unburnt fuel. If it's running rich enough to fail a smog check on HC, I'd be concerned that there might be enough unburnt fuel in the exhaust to damage the catalyst. There were a lot of different versions of that system over like 20 years, and I'm not terribly familiar with any of them, but if there's not something you can adjust to lean it out a bit, maybe you should replace the oxygen sensor.

-Joe

At 6:39 AM +0000 2/15/04, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:34:33 EST
From: Alfanovice@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] emissions once again

With all the talk and expertise on emissions testing, I thought I would pose
my own question. In Texas the test is run at 15mph and 25 mph. In my case
low speed resulted in 1887 rpm and high speed in 2030 rpm. My car barely passed
HC's on the low speed test by 1ppm last March. This means it showed 193ppm
with a standard of 194 ppm for HC's. CO% and Nox(ppm) passed just fine. Can
anyone tell me why HC's are high and what I might have to do next month to
pass? This car just needs to pass one more time. Yes, I believe the cat is
original, with 177,000 miles. Also, on the high speed test, HC's passed with 163
ppm with a standard of 189 ppm. This car has Bosch KIS injection, four
cylinders, and a five speed transmission.

Thanks for any and all suggestions,
Brian Ancelin
Denton, TX