[alfa] Resonator replacement ideas

Hi all..

I am getting a new cat to replace the 27yr old unit that is a rattly, noisy, dead doornail.. I'm hoping that the new one will improve the tone of the exhaust, (or at least not contribute so much noise to it!) as well as clean it up.

But, "for off road use only" ;-) I have a pre 75 dual manifold, a needs some work set of downpipes to fit, (or might get new) and was wondering what might go on the other end to connect to the center muffler?

Early cars had a kind of box that I was under the impression, was more a resonator than muffler.. though I think I saw one cut open once, about half cavity half muffler like damping. Anyone have experiences with using straight pipes, or small glasspack things there, and how did it influence the sound?

That, and a cheap source of a few flanges, and I'll be set for several kinds of motoring..

Jon
77 Spider