[alfa] Re: Spider headlamp covers

In a message dated 2/6/2004 3:46:40 PM Central Standard Time,
acs@domain.elided writes:
Russ, thanks for the information. Must admit I haven't tried this before
but just stuck a complete headlight / bucket behind one of the '69
Spider's opening (so to speak) and am even more confused. There are
three tabs each with  a 5 mm bolt facing towards the rear. If after
cutting off the bottom tab which holds the (US ) headlight rim, the
bucket could be slipped on. However, there would be a huge gap all
around the edge with the headlight just barely coming up even to the
nacelle's headlamp mount. I got out the Euro and all else but U.S. parts
book and 'their' bucket is definitely different. Still I don't see how
the 'system' is supposed to work.

I thought about grinding off the outer flange on the bucket, then
mounting it from behind. Counting the rubber gasket, this would only
move the assembly back about .25" (7 mm). The adjustment / headlamp /
retainer would remain on the outside. What does one then use to cover
all the exposed 'hardware'? Also, adjustment would be limited and
perhaps some serious grinding might be necessary. Not knocking it, but
the IAP cover kit only includes what I would term stainless edging.

I wished I'd paid more attention to the Round-tails with the Carello
headlight covers at shows. Anyone have some good detail shots?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

---------------

    No need to remove the whole rim of the headlight bucket.  Just remove the
lower tab where the screw goes that holds the stock headlight ring.  Then
make a couple of cuts on each side of the other two tabs and straighten out the
metal so it clears.  Drill three holes, bolt the bucket on from behind and
apply the "stainless steel edging."
    Toss the rubber gasket.
    The stainless steel edging is the European style head light ring.  Look
at the photos of Spider Juniors.  They came with no headlight covers so the
photos show the stainless steel ring better.
    If you do not like the looks of the guts of the headlight bucket peaking
around the chrome, get some flat black paint.  You should see just the
stainless steel edging and the chrome that holds the headlight to the headlight
bucket.  It should look fine.  If not, space the bucket out or back until it looks
better to you.
    I understand the Duetto came with a small headlight ring that would fit
under the headlight covers.  If you do not like the look of the stainless
edging, try to find some of those.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City