[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1120 - Spider CA emissions

In a message dated 2/6/2004 6:14:23 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:15:31 -0800
From: Jonathan Thames <jthames@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Spider CA emissions

What all is part of the CA emissions on a '92 Spider? I got mine in CA, but
here in WA we don't need it, and I am wondering if it is
performance-robbing.

Jonathan
'92 Spider
Seattle

    To the best of my knowledge by 1992, there were no longer 49 state
versions plus a special version for California.  In my experience the 1990 and newer
Alfa Motronic spiders run just fine.  Both of my 91 spiders (actually two
running and a parts car) are totally stock, except for a glass pack or two in the
exhaust.  I have been the Hot Rod route on other Alfas and the only thing I
would change on either 91 is the seats.  The seats lack lumbar support on long
trips.
    The Motronic engine comes with 10 to 1 compression, an 11 mm lift intake
cam and the early style split exhaust manifolds.  There are chips available
for the Motronic computer.  If you have to make changes, you might play with the
chip.  I thought I had a bookmark for the recommended chip.  You need to
contact George Schweikle about that.
    Oh, yes, and open up the exhaust so you can hear the engine.  If it
sounds fast, it must be fast, right?  See the recent discussions on exhaust on Alfa
Digest.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City