[alfa] Alfa Engine Noise(s) - No Lack of Performance

> In a fault diagnosis(highwoodalfa.com link) you use worn valve gear as a
> term in the section on engine noise. My 1750 GTV has top end(I think vs. bottom
> end) noise(a knock or clunk not a higher pitched ping) which has stumped
> local mechanics after doing the obvious steps with checking clearances and
> replacing followers. The engine was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago (and this noise
> occurred almost immediately) Noticeable at idle and slightly moreso when cold and
> it may be masked at higher rpm by overall engine noise. It sounds like it is
> isolated to one cylinder area and hard to determine but I think it is closer
> to 3 and 4 vs 1 and 2 cylinders. There is no performance impact - it runs
> fine throughout the rpm range!
Now, just 2 days ago, I was going to drive the car and noticed a secondary or
residual rattle like noise which could be related to the original knock. I
did not drive the car. I need to check compression. I need to remove the valve
cover and look for obvious loose item. Related rotating parts, such as water
pump seem fine. Beyond that, not sure of next steps. Of course, I would like to
avoid a major teardown.

> Any suggestions? Swap cams? Swap cam followers? I see broken piston ring as
> a noise cause. Would this also have a performance impact?

Thanks,
Russ