[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1113 - spider exhaust

In a message dated 2/1/2004 4:04:02 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:23:52 -0700
From: "C.M. Bereznoff" <cmbereznoff@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] spider exhaust

hello alfisti
I am contemplating removal of my 93 spider center muffler.
Has anyone done this?  any commenets re: the exhaust note.
how loud, how pleasing, displeasing/  any changes in
performance noted? any disadvantages?
all help apreciated
Dr. Craig M. Bereznoff
Longmont, Colorado
1993 Spider
    The center muffler does almost all the work.  Replace the rear muffler
with a straight pipe and you can almost hear the exhaust note.  My 91 Spider
Veloce is set up that way.
    Replace the center muffler with a straight pipe and the exhaust will be
quite loud.  Or it was on my 82 spider with an Ansa rear muffler.  And it got a
lot louder as the Ansa burned out.  In fact, that Alfa was LOUD.
    Replace the center muffler with a 12 inch glass pack and run an Ansa on
the rear and the noise is almost detectable.  Since a glass pack seems to burn
out quicker than a steel pack, it will get louder.  My 91 Spider (Normale) is
set up that way.
    Both my 91 spiders still have the front catalyst in place.  The 82 had
the cat replaced with an old "test tube" aka, resonator.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City