[alfa] Transmission Centered?

Subject: [alfa] Transmission not centered

Hello All..

Here's a quick one..  I noticed while putting the motor in the Spider,
that the shift lever end of the transmission isn't quite centered in the
hole of the body.  Being that I wanted to just get it in there after the
wrestling.. and knowing that the car has had some bodywork required at
some point.. I didn't investigate it that closely.. thinking more proof
of a not-so-straight body would be just depressing rather than productive..

Now, my question is,  is there enough slack in the fit of the motor
mounts on the stud/bolts for a few degrees of angle, or am I really
looking at a distorted front end?  I may end up doing it anyway,  but
didn't want to go thru the disconnecting and lifting neccicary to try to
reposition things if it probably wasn't going to help.  We're talking
about 1/2-3/4" offset at the lever, not banging into the body but a fair
amount to the right.  New motor mounts and tranny mount, BTW..

Jon
77 Spider (got 300 mi on the rebuild! :-)  )

Jon,

I have a related question for the ARDigest.  When I put my transmission back
in I had to do a lot of prying, pushing, and hammer taping to get the drive
shaft bolts to guibo/transmission bolts to go together.  If the
transmission/engine were better aliagned would take this much effort.

What are other's experiences?

Bill

69 Spider