Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:58:31 EST
From: Mcmahonmik@domain.elided
Subject: was: [alfa] Spider timing chain link :  NOW: lurching & bucking at
start

Concensus was about 50% don't worry about it, and 50% "don't worry but
definately check it out".

Chain is fine - "Extra" link must have been dropped in the past, and finally
migrated to the drain plug.

All of a sudden last night it starts lurching & bucking from a brisk start in
1st.
Revs up, drops down alarmingly, revs up, drops down until I panic & shift to
second.
Other gears, idle, and gentle starts are fine.

Vaccuum leak?  VVT?  Aux air device?  What did I put back on wrong?

Thanks for the ideas,
- -mike mcmahon
86 spider
94 164 - needs trans cooler fan