To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:12 PM
Subject: [alfa] Voltage regulator info

Hi all..

A question and some info..

I was checking my alternator at a auto parts store (they have a machine to run them) and noticed it read a bit low on the voltage. Turns out their machine reads low, and I actually was pretty high. In the car I measured 14.2 or so at idle, and up a half a volt or more when running faster.

So, I would like to know if anyone has found a good, cheap adjustable solid state VR that will work with the Bosch external reg alternators? I'd prefer an adjustable, since there is some drop to deal with on a Spider with the battery in the trunk. (long wires)

The other thing, did some looking at things in the parts store, and the guy pulled out a (80's?) Volvo regulator (wish I wrote the ##'s down) that had the same 3 prong plug and worked well with my Bosch. It seemed a little low compared to mine, but with their out of cal meter, it probably was just right. So it's probably a similar if not the same alt as Alfa was using. Solid state, but non adjustable.

Jon Pike
77 Spider