From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Jon
Pike
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:13 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Voltage regulator info

Hi all..

A question and some info..

I was checking my alternator at a auto parts store (they have a machine
to run them) and noticed it read a bit low on the voltage.  Turns out
their machine reads low,  and I actually was pretty high.  In the car I
measured 14.2 or so at idle, and up a half a volt or more when running
faster.

So, I would like to know if anyone has found a good, cheap adjustable
solid state VR that will work with the Bosch external reg alternators?
I'd prefer an adjustable,  since there is some drop to deal with on a
Spider with the battery in the trunk. (long wires)

The other thing, did some looking at things in the parts store,  and the
guy pulled out a (80's?) Volvo regulator (wish I wrote the ##'s down)
that had the same 3 prong plug and worked well with my Bosch.  It seemed
a little low compared to mine, but with their out of cal meter, it
probably was just right.  So it's probably a similar if not the same alt
as Alfa was using.   Solid state, but non adjustable.

Jon Pike
77 Spider