[alfa] Spider timing chain link found (gulp) on drain plug

So this Spider owner goes in to a random shop for an overdue oil change.
(3,400 miles, but 1.5 years)

Background:  It's the second oil change since I had a valve job done by a
former factory tech with a "hit 'n hit 'n miss reputation".

As per the Subject line my magnetic drain plug is holding a slightly worn (in
only the appropriate places) single link to the timing chain.

I am an "outside the engine, no talent, but lots of interest" wrench.

Should I have a new valve cover gasket ready before I break into my engine
for the first time?
The factory manual treats HEAD replacement, but assumes (wrongly) you have
SOME experience in removing valve covers.

My plan is to back the car half-way out the garage, remove valve cover (may
be tricky at the VVT solenoid?), inspect chain, put car in 5th, push forward "a
bit", repeat check, until I have seen the whole chain, or bump the front of
the car.

My ASSUMPTION is that the tech dropped a link, and said "Damn, better get
another beer.  That's too big to get in the oil pickup.  Fuggetaboutit."

Still, I know I need to check.

Advice?  Comments?
-mike mcmahon
stafford, TX
86 spider
94 164 (in shop for 2 months awaiting parts)