RE: [alfa] Re: Victory by Design...

-----Original Message-----
George Graves wrote in part:
  "Just his ability to seemingly effortlessly switch between cars with
the accelerator between the clutch and brake pedals and the 'normal'
configuration is enough to impress me. I remember reading once that
Jack Brabham was a guest at some car function in New Zealand once, and
was supposed to take out some old Maserati GP car for a couple of laps.
He got in the car, took off and immediately stacked it into some hay
bales because he got confused by the centrally located throttle. It
can't be easy unless you do it all the time."

Last year during the CART Surfers Paradise coverage they showed a piece
on veteran CART pilot and former CART champ Jimmy Vasser driving an Aussie
Ford V8 touring racer. He bucked and miss-shifted all over the place. On
completing his demo lap(s) he returned to the pits and profusely apologized
to the mechanics who were obviously going to have to rebuild the trans for
the upcoming race. He explained that the standard "H" pattern and left hand
shifter confused him to no end.

John Katos
West Dundee, IL