[alfa] Motor Oil

A friend whose career includes mechanic, automotive instructor and
author/editor of several books for mechanics sent me the following link:

http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

The link leads to a long, informative article about motor oil, by a guy who
ought to know what he's talking about.
This peaked my interest because I have a newly-built, high performance 2-liter
motor that is days away from being started for the first time.

I've always used 20W-50 in my Alfas (since 1969 -- yes, I'm THAT old).  The
article indicates my old preference may no longer be the best choice.  I wrote
to the friend who sent me the article and asked for his recommendation. After
considering his own experience and the above article, he says he'd use  5W-30
Mobil 1, "unless your clearances are really loose: then 10W-30."

I'm wondering if any on the digest have used Mobil 1 and what they've
experienced?  My car will be driven pretty much everywhere, and in a manner
that takes advantage of its hot cams, light flywheel and tranny with lightened
gears.

Lyford Hale
California

There is a solution!"